Thursday, March 19, 2015

DIY Trinket Box Makeover

Hello Blog World!
How is everyone feeling today? Me pretty good. Its Thursday so you know what that means! Its easy dinner night! Ha-ha. You thought I was going to say Blog day. Which you wouldn't be wrong. 
Today's project was silly but it turned out a lot better than I thought. The title might be confusing so let me share the picture so you can understand what I am talking about.


To truly get still what I am talking about here is the before picture




Does any one remember these? I use to have one when I was a kid I use to put my hair ties in it. Well I saw this one at a yard sale and first thought. Ew. What would I do with this. But of course for 1.00 I couldn't pass it up. (It still had the tag on it from TJ Max. It was 7.00)
When my brother gave me some scrap book papers and such I got an idea. 
In the boxes of scrap book papers I received I noticed a lot of Mickey Mouse stuff. Now one person comes to mind when I see Mickey Mouse stuff. My sister. So I decided to transform this floral failure into a Mickey masterpiece. 

The supplies used:
Spray paint (Are you surprised?)
Scrap Book paper
Mod Podge
 Mickey brads (See pic below)



 first after taking the original knobs off I spray painted it black. I used the cheap stuff this time. The box is made out of cardboard so it sticks really well. 

Wait for it to dry. If you are impatient like me this is the part where you find something else to do. Like unload the dishwasher. Put a load of laundry in. Multitasking is my best friend when I am to impatient too wait. 
Once its dry measure out the pieces of paper. I just used the actual box to measure it. The choice is yours. 
I did the outsides first. They overhang a little bit here but I trimmed them up.
Next I cut out some paper to put inside. 


I let it dry before putting the Mickey brad in (I'm going to insert here my confusion on why they are called brads. Any ideas?)
Once it was dried I just poked through with the sharp edge of the brad and closed it up. 

There you have it. Now I don't expect any one to go out and buy one of these trinket boxes to redo them. The point is...Just because you don't like how something looks originally doesn't mean you can't change it.
Although some one might like the floral design.



I did not. 

I actually found instructions on how to make these out of card stock. If that is something you would like to see please let me know! 

That might be a Don't in my book...


This project was 
And a Casey Original! 

Total this project cost me 1.00 to do. The expense gets better once I get more stuff. 
Of course where I put the stuff...that's another problem entirely. 

This is the part where I think every one skips...DON'T!

Like my facebook page! 

Get updates on the blog.

If you don't have a facebook...
At the top of the blog you will see a box where it says email. If you put your email address you will get updates when I post [your] next project.

Have a project you would like to share? Let me know! I would love to see some one attempt one of these. 

Help my little blog grow. SHARE!

Thanks guys, see ya next time!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure why they are called brads, and google will not answer that for me :( But this was a good project and if I come across one of these I will definitely be buying it and putting my own little twist in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad some one is as confused as me. Maybe who ever made them was named Brad. :D

      Delete